Dr. Newcomer didn’t know what his future had instore as a sophomore football and baseball player at Augustana. However, he always enjoyed biology and eventually chose the path of medicine. It wasn’t until he sustained an injury, that he fell in love with the competitive field of orthopedics. During his recovery, he was intrigued by the benefits of orthopedics and how it helps to get athletes back in the game. He went on to take an externship at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Newcomer has been servicing Bloomington/Normal athletes since 1998 and has been a team doctor for a variety of semi-pro teams in town. Dr. Newcomer returned to the Carle MCO team in 2013 as a board-certified general orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist. He specializes in the treatment of knee, shoulder, elbow, hip, hand, wrist, and sports injuries (tendon, ligament, cartilage, fractures). He uses the latest medical technology with the state-of-the-art medical facility to provide his patient with the best possible outcome. He enjoys working at Carle MCO because he believes in the great team of physicians and staff who genuinely care about their patients’ health and well-being. Dr. Newcomer is assisted by his physician’s assistant Nicci Snodgrass and MA Matt, who serves as his clinical support.
When he’s not working, Dr. Newcomer enjoys spending time with his kids, playing golf at the Bloomington and Crestwicke Country Clubs, and traveling, especially to Napa and France.
- Undergraduate: Augustana College
- Graduate: University of Texas, Medical School at Houston, Medical Doctorate
- Residency: University of New Mexico Health Sciences, Orthopedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- McLean County Medical Society
- Illinois Orthopedic Association
- Team Physician, Medical Director, Bloomington Blaze, Professional Hockey Team
- Team Physician, Medical Director, Bloomington Prairie Thunder, Professional Hockey Team
- Illinois State University Faculty, Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- Team Physician, Normal Corn Belters Baseball Team