Dr. Buffington gained an interest in pursuing a career in medicine following a high school foot injury which was not appropriately diagnosed and rehabilitated which cost him a full season of play and lead to continued chronic pain. It was because of this experience he understands the importance of appropriate, accurate treatment and rehabilitation with any injury.
Early in his young career, Dr. Buffington knew he wanted to work in medicine. He was proactive in taking the first step to making his dream come true and began volunteering at local hospitals. His volunteer experience helped grow his passion for patient care. While at the University of Iowa, Dr. Buffington continued to volunteer as well as conduct research and was introduced to the field of podiatric medicine and surgery.
In 2020, Dr. Buffington completed an Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgical Fellowship and had the opportunity work with some of the best foot and ankle surgeons in Illinois, which gave him the ability to provide patients with complete care whether that be preventative, conservative, or surgical. This advanced surgical training focused on foot and ankle trauma, primary and revision reconstruction, diabetic limb salvage as well as total ankle replacement.
Dr. Buffington is passionate about technological advances in the foot and ankle field and continuing to grow his knowledge. He believes it is important to stay up to date on new options of conservative care and surgical techniques to improve patient care and outcomes. Dr. Buffington has lectured and presented research at several state and national conferences as well as submitting research studies in foot and anke publications.
Dr. Buffington chose Carle MCO because of the great team atmosphere and dedication to expert patient care. He is assisted by nurse Jessica. Carle MCO covers a wide variety of specialties within orthopedics, and Dr. Buffington is excited to expand Carle MCO’s foot and ankle presence in Bloomington-Normal.
When he is not caring for his patients or performing surgery, Dr. Buffington can be found spending time with family and friends, traveling, cooking, kayaking, or trying to improve his golf game. He also enjoys sports and is an avid Iowa Hawkeye fan.
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, Bachelor of Science with Honors
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
- Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, North Chicago, IL
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, With Honors
- OSF St. Anthony Medical Center, Rockford, IL
- Podiatric Surgery Residency with Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Certification
- Chief Resident & Education Coordinator
- Northwest Illinois Foot and Ankle Fellowship, Sycamore, IL
- Advanced Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Fellowship
Organizations / Associations
- Associate, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, 2016 - Present
- Member, Illinois Podiatric Medical Association, 2012 - Present
- Member, American Podiatric Medical Association, 2012 - Present